Oman, or the Sultanate of Oman, is an Arab country located in the southwestern Asia region. The neighboring countries to Oman are Saudi Arabia, UAE, and Yemen. Muscat is the nation’s capital and largest city. All local and foreign professionals who wish to work in the medical field in Oman must obtain a professional license and register for the OMSB examination, along with undergoing PSV verification of documents. In this blog, I will explain the process of getting a license in Oman for all healthcare professionals, including doctors, dentists, nurses, and allied health professionals.
Healthcare Professional Licensing Authority in Oman: Oman Medical Specialty Board (OMSB)
The process of dataflow verification and the Prometric exam process must be done from the applicant’s side. After successfully completing the PSV report and Prometric exam, you can find an employer in Oman.
Documents Required for the Process:
STEP 1: PSV-DATAFLOW VERIFICATION OF DOCUMENTS
Documents Required for Dataflow Verification (PSV) – OMSB:
- Passport copy
- Passport size photograph
- Educational document – diploma or degree or master’s certificate (convocation certificate)
- Mark list/transcript of studies throughout the year (including course duration)
- Professional license from the home country as well as the last working country – should be valid. If expired, attach the renewed license. For professionals without a licensing authority, a letter from the employer is required.
- Experience certificate – based on professional qualification criteria – last 3 years of experience, limited to 2 employers. If you have other experience, additional payment will be added to the data flow. Experience certificates should be issued by the Human Resource Manager/Administrator/Director of the facility.
- As per OMSB requirements, any document issued from Oman is NOT required to be verified. Please submit alternate documents in the relevant section.
Nursing Manthra can assist you effectively with your dataflow (PSV) verification process, ensuring a positive outcome. It’s crucial to be careful when entering all information to avoid any wrong entry that could lead to a negative dataflow report or an inability to verify.
STEP 2: PROMETRIC EXAM BOOKING
The Prometric exam has to be booked through the Prometric site. Check the guidelines on the OMSB site to determine if your specialty requires the Prometric exam. The exam cost varies based on your professional title. For nurses, it is approximately 206 USD + VAT charges (around 800 AED in total, including bank deduction charges).
The Prometric exam is a crucial step, and it’s advisable to take it after completing the PSV process. This allows you time to study and increase your chances of passing on your first attempt.
STEP 3: FINDING A JOB IN OMAN AND LICENSING PROCESS BY EMPLOYER
Once you pass the exam, the next step is to find a job in Oman. Check hospital websites and apply for job vacancies. If you have relatives or friends in Oman, seek their help in finding job opportunities. Once you get a job offer, your employer will handle the licensing process with MOH Oman.
The process includes:
- Submitting an updated CV and positive dataflow report.
- Having 4 years of experience for GNM and 3 years for BSc after registration with the Nursing council (in the case of nurses).
- The hospital will apply for MOH approval, followed by an interview, often conducted online for candidates outside Oman.
- If selected, the employer will provide a job offer, and you’ll need to submit passport copies and photos to obtain a 3-month visit visa and flight tickets for the Viva exam with MOH.
- The viva exam date will be arranged by the hospital, and the exam typically covers your area of expertise and cardiac questions.
- Once you pass the viva exam, you’ll receive your nursing registration license within a week, allowing you to start practicing your profession in Oman.
If you need any assistance with the dataflow application, exam process, or any other aspect of the licensing process, feel free to contact Nursing Manthra for guidance and support.